Skip to main content

This study from a photograph is one of the first oils I've ever done while in a painting class this past spring.  Here's another (study from an online source):

And another:



I have learned to love the dynamic qualities of working in oil and I can see why so many artists choose to work in this medium.  However I have recently found myself drawn more into digital art, primarily Photoshop.

One of the earliest works I did in Photoshop was a poster for the play, The Woman in Black by Susan Hill.  Even in my novice experiences with digital art I appreciated the potential for versatility and desired to master this software.



This one, entitled American, Inc., was done for a 2-D art class.  Pop art has always fascinated me in its exploration of our multi-faceted culture through symbolism, appropriation, and ironic juxtaposition.  This piece primarily centers around two iconic representations of our American collective consciousness: Marilyn and good ol' Arnie the Ex-Governator, experiencing and promoting the not-so-innocent trappings of Western civilization.  At some point we have to come to grips with what our luxury costs.  Art can help open our eyes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Mauritius" Costume Design

From the Agua Chica project I had reached a turning point in regards to digital media, and I decided to primarily render in Photoshop for the costume design of Mauritius , a play USU's theatre department put on this fall.

Upcoming Project: "Anthromorph"

This little teaser is part of one of my most current projects under development entitled Anthromorph , centered around three unusual characters whose paths intersect across time and space.